Tuesday, July 14, 2015

A View into "Wool Applique Folk Art"


    From the very start of the journey into creating this book of projects, I knew exactly how I wanted my pieces to be photographed and where I wanted it photographed. The pictures in my mind were of each project piece in a period setting giving the reader an idea of how the piece could be used. The photographs were going to set the stage of the book and really give life to my work. All along as I designed, stitched, and wrote, I continued to develop how each piece could be staged for their big photo shoot.

    Once the technical writing was finished it was time to focus on the long day of photography it would take to get just the right shots to express the feel of this book. It started with my West Coast publishing company choosing a photographer in Northeast Ohio. Not only did they find a capable photographer, but Laura is also a very talented artist with the camera. We set the big date for July.

Before I even wrote my book proposal, I had approached Ron & Kathy Wright about the idea to photograph my work in their beautiful and historic home should the publisher agree. The Marshall House is a stately home that sits on a bluff overlooking the Grand River and is steeped in history of local and national importance. It was built by a leading citizen of the community and was a stop on the Underground Railroad. With many period-styled rooms and a wonderful collection of antiques, their home would offer just the right backdrops.

Now it was time to assemble the team. Yes, it definitely took a team. I have two highly trained assistants in my daughters Kelsey and Karly. They are both artists in their own rights whose advice and design skills I can always count on. The three of us along with homeowner Kathy worked a whole day a week in advance of the photo shoot to get each piece staged in just the right setting. The Wrights were very generous to let us move items in their collection from room to room in order to achieve just the right setting. 

The day of the photo shoot arrived dark and gloomy. The final and important team member, Laura arrived with gear in tow and ready to get started. Once she had a look at our settings and set up all of her equipment, we dived right in knowing that it was going to be a long day. We divided into two teams now, with Kelsey and I staging each shot just ahead of Laura and her assistant Karly who would get the shot and which would then be approved by all. Then Kelsey and I would clean up after each shot and return items to where they belonged in the house. We had started at 9am and with a brief lunch break, finished at 6pm. We gathered around Laura's computer at the end of the day to see the fruits of all out labors. It was an amazing moment as I saw for the first time my book come to life in these pictures.

To say "Thank you" to Ron & Kathy for their generous use of the Marshall House seems so inadequate as I am so grateful for all of their support. Laura's talent with a camera is so evident in these photos, and I am just so thankful C&T found her. My two assistants also deserve a lot of credit for always being willing to support me in my work.


As this journey with my book continues, I will share more about it with you in hopes it will inspire.



12 comments:

  1. Awesome post . . . awesome friends, awesome family, awesome book! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had your book for about 2 weeks now and looked and re-looked a it. It is a beautiful book and filled with wonderful projects. I have it on a small table and enjoy walking past and seeing the cover; what a treasure. You and your daughters are just lovely; much happiness to all of you. Blessings, Dee from Norman, Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete
  3. These two ladies must be your very capable assistants and daughters. Beautiful family and book. I received my book and trying to decide which one to do first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for allowing us a peek behind the scenes! It makes the book even more meaningful!
    Blessings, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting post! Such a gorgeous setting. How fortunate to have your work photographed there.
    Hugs :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just received my book tonight. Love it. What beautiful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect setting for such lovely art! Wow! Beautiful ladies, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love seeing the process. Lovely creations and home for showcasing them. Kudos to all involved!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh..these shots are so beautiful and look at you and your beautiful girls. YOU are ALL so sweet and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun to get this 'behind the scenes' look at the making of your book! It is just gorgeous. The setting really made your projects look fantastic. What a beautiful home.....and beautiful creations! I bought the book to be inspired to paint with--- hope to one day find time to do the projects properly with wool too!~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rebekah, I will be at the From our Hands event in November and cannot even begin to express my excitement!! I love everything that you do and you are such an inspiration!! Yes, I have a Pinterest board with your name on it! I preordered your book and have looked at it many times and am excited to learn how to make something from it once I can narrow down a choice. I'll be the very gitty old girl from Minnesota who will probably faint before I get in the door. Thank you for sharing all that you do! Krissy B.

    ReplyDelete