Friday, August 19, 2016

Ideas for August


                                  
          Here we are in August already with Summer waning and Fall close on its heels. I have had one bustling season! Packed full of teaching, stitching, writing, & travel, it has been an exciting time that I have fully enjoyed. It was not the best summer for dyeing wool, though. We experienced excessive heat and humidity for prolonged periods which really does not help when you are standing over a steaming pot of water. Now we are seeing the temperatures moderate and the evenings are cooler so I am looking forward to natural dyeing that for me comes at this time. The black walnuts are beginning to fall, goldenrod is beginning to bloom, and all of the other plants are ready for the dye pot. This is the season to stock up on wonderfully dyed wools, linens, and other textiles.
It has been a while since I have shared a Reshaped Project from the book. This month I have created a simple Thread Caddy with a wonderful idea for floss storage that I gleaned from a student in one of my workshops. I will also share another wonderful idea for the book from a student. I will be offering other Student Tips in future posts. It seems that I learn something myself from a student in every class.
 Thank you as always for taking a class, sharing what you have made from the book, saying “Hi” at a show, and just being so encouraging. I appreciate all of it!


     This Student Tip comes from Sue in Arizona. While in a class in Ohio , we were talking floss and Sue showed me how she keeps her DMC colors at hand. She simply cuts multiple strands of floss to sewing length and  separates them into the two strands needed for stitching. Then Sue puts the separated two strands onto a thread minder according to color where they are at the ready for use. I found this idea especially helpful for stitching while on the road. Instead of fumbling with skeins of floss while on the move, this tip helps keep things organized and convenient. Also, the two strands are easy to remove each time you need to begin a new needle. Thank you, Sue for sharing this idea with me and letting me share it with others.



House Thread Caddy : Reshaped project from 
Wool Applique Folk Art 
by Rebekah L. Smith


Pattern from “Housing for 
Papers”  page 74

1) Make a larger pattern of the house (including the chimney)  by adding 1/4’’ all the way around. This will be what you stitch the house parts to.
2) Once you make a freezer paper pattern of the larger house background, cut two of these out of wool. One will be for the background and one for the backing.
3) Once you have stitched your house parts you will now layer together the top house wooly, a piece of cardstock or lightweight chip board cut slightly smaller than the whole house  and the backing house wool together and stitch around the outside.
4) Add thread rings to the bottom of the house by just stitching them to the wool.

  








                              Thread Caddy Cover

This cover is simply to keep your threads from tangling while you travel.

Cut 2 pieces of fabric 14’’h x 6.5’’w. Add a 12’’ length of twill tape to each end. Pin the right sides of the fabrics together inserting the twill tape in each end about 1/2’’. Be sure that your twill tape is in between the layers of fabric. Sew all the way around leaving a 1/4'' seam allowance. Turn the cover right side out and iron flat being sure to turn the raw edges of the opening under.  Blanket Stitch all the way around the outside of the cover.








       My second Student Tip comes from Kathy in Texas. She not only had her Wool Applique Folk Art book spiral bound at the local copy center, but she had them add a pocket in the back to keep pattern pieces organized. I think this is a fantastic idea! Thank you, Kathy for letting me share this very useful tip.


      I will continue to share what I learn in workshops. It is exciting to see what everyone brings, and I have really learned so much from students. Thank you all who have had the opportunity to be in one of my classes. I so enjoy meeting all of you!





4 comments:

  1. having the book spiral bound with a pocket is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Kelley. I'm spiral bound to my copy shop .... oh so clever of an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebekah come to Jacksonville FL - contact oldgreencupboard@aol.com - Gloria Parsons for details. Your book is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a GREAT IDEA!!!! to spiral bind the book!!!!

    ReplyDelete