Friday, September 7, 2012

The Artisan Show


Here it is at last! My next blog post? Well, yes, there is that, but I’m referring to my “busy time” of the year. Though, as I always seem busy, I suppose I should change the name to “frantic time” of the year. Then again, I could just say “It’s show time!” And this year, that is especially true.

Ordinarily, I am a minimalist when it comes to shows. I try not to fill my calendar with them. This year, however, I felt it was time to draw a deep breath, and double the amount of shows I do. Sounds ambitious, you say? Well, I am working on four shows instead of two, and it is certainly an undertaking.

Shows are a very integral part of an artist’s career. This is where you and your work meet the public. It is how an artist builds a client base. Selling your work through a shop does not afford the same opportunity to interact with the public. This is the most satisfying thing about doing a show: talking to people, answering questions, and hearing about their own creative ideas.


First up is the Country Living Fair, September 14th through 16th in Columbus Ohio. Until two days ago, I didn't even know I was doing this show. By now, I had assumed I did not eve make the waiting list. Now here I am, less than two weeks away from the largest event I have ever participated. This is a very exciting opportunity for me, and the family is stepping in to make sure I have enough time to prepare for it. This show is the probably biggest show one can do in my line of work. It is both an artisan and antiques show with hundreds of vendors, attracting thousands of people. The Ohio Historical Society allows the show to use its own Ohio Village. You can find out more about the show and the site here: 
Three weeks after that, October 6th and 7th, is the Williamsburg Festival at the Pine Tree Barn in Wooster, Ohio. This event is one of my favorites. Between the beautiful setting, excellent hosts, quality craftsman, historic interpreters, and great food, it makes for a wonderful weekend. It is the one and only time you find me in period costume. 

Between all of the paint, the glue, and thread and the varnish, I might be ready on time. I am excited about the new items in my inventory this year. I look forward to sharing them with you at these shows and hope to see you there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment